Monday, January 9, 2012

on making goals

picnikfile_whZpvm
On Saturday I'll be running my first half marathon. I feel proud and silly and my body hates me right now. But I'm doing it. Little by little I've trained my body to be able to go longer distances.

I was thinking about all of you. Especially those of you who have written that you'd like to do something risky. Something new. Open up a shop. Change. Embrace new life stages. Hope.

And I was wondering. What would it look like for you? To put one foot in front of the other?

I am horrible at time management. And I'm horrible at goals. I really am. I fail at most of them. I'll probably fail at more this year than I'll achieve.

But, this time there have been small differences.

Honestly? I usually don't share many of my goals. What if I fail? And others see it.

I risked it this time. I started with a handful of people and as I've gotten closer, I've told even more friends. I've got a small army praying for Saturday. I've had boundless encouragement along the way.

And instead of keeping my goal really big and overwhelming so that I avoided and put off, I focused on the small steps. What small thing can I do today?

I've found that my battles are often won and lost in the small things. If I'm faithful there then I can take another step.

Let's end here for today: goals are nice and steps are important but abiding is the key. Good fruit and growth make their way in our lives when we are rooted in Christ.

What about you? Do you have a small tip for making a big goal seem closer?


No comments:

Post a Comment