Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I am not a dancer.

Did you guys read what Jessi wrote yesterday?  If not, you should.  Because it was really, really good.  And because I want to add something to it, and this just won't make as much sense if you haven't read that.

I taught a creative writing class this Spring at my church, and when the organizer sent me the description he'd planned to put in the advertisement, the first line said this:

"Everyone is a writer."

And I understood what he meant, because sure, everyone does some writing, whether it's an email, or a 140 character Tweet, or an etsy description, or an eBook (ahem, Jessi), or a bestselling novel, or a blog.  We all write, and we can all learn to write better.

But I'm going to be a little snooty now and say no, everyone is not a writer.

Like Jessi said yesterday, "What if we are missing out on what God has for us because we want to fit the mold of what He has for others?"


Because I watch So You Think You Can Dance, and gosh, I want to dance so badly.  


And I can crank up the music in my living room and dance like crazy.


But y'all, I am not a dancer.  Because everyone is not a dancer.  


And if that is your gift, I am so happy for you (and a little bit jealous).


But Jessi's writing gift, and your dancing gift, and April's drawing gift, and Laura's jewelry-making gift, and Lindsey's gift of making everything she touches so dang beautiful...they're all just completely amazing, because He gave them to us. 

So instead of fighting what you are, embrace it. 

Be the girl who makes rad jewelry.
Be the girl who writes beautiful poetry.
Be the girl who throws mean dinner parties.
Be the girl who knows how to run a business.
Be the girl who takes beautiful pictures of her children.
Be the girl you are, because that is the only person He made you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment