Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Sashes Gal Guest Post: Handmade by Hilary

 YAY!!! It has been a pleasure being a sponsor over here at the Sashes blog this month! I love these girls, and I truly support the meaning behind Sashes, and where the name came from in the book of Proverbs 31 verse 24: "She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchants." This blog has been such an inspiration to me. Just the fact of building community with other Christian women who sell handmade goods is a blessing and encouragement all in one! I just want to tell you a little bit about myself, my shop, and how I started selling handmade.

I was born and raised in Charleston, SC, and I wouldn't change it for anything! I am very much a southern girl loving all things monogrammed! My husband and I still live here and we have one daughter, Maggie Claire who is 20 months old. {We are praying for a baby #2 to come along any time now... lol} My husband Mike works at Seacoast Church as a family ministry pastor, and we love doing ministry together! To read more about me, you can follow my personal blog here. 

When I was a young girl I would go with my memaw to craft fairs. My memaw made handmade things and sold them, and she sold some crazy things! I guess melting plastic squares and making them into earrings was cool in the 90s, anybody else know what I'm talking about? haha Anyways, I definitely inherited my creativity from my mom and grandma, and a lot of times, my mom is the one that gives me ideas of new things in my shop
{Here is a picture of me with my mom and grandma and Maggie Claire- 4 generations}


I started off doing painting in college, and then some baking, and then making hairbows, so after 4 years of doing a bunch of random handmade things, I have finally found my niche in sewing. I just recently opened my etsy shop 6 months ago in January 2012, and my prayer this year is to always remember to give God the glory for every sale and email inquiry that I receive. In November of last year, I saved up enough money to buy an embroidery sewing machine. I never really thought I would actually be selling monogrammed and personalized items, but it's real life now and I am enjoying every minute of it! 

In my shop I have everything from embroidered appliqued baby onesies, hand towels, monogrammed straw hats, ipad cases, and I recently just added personalized chevron pillow slipcovers! My slogan is "cuteness for all occasions", and hopefully you'll think so too! 

I would love to get to know more of the readers here! Please, follow me on twitter & instagram @hilarysurratt, or my blog, and let me know that you found me over at Sashes! 

Also, since I love yall so much, I'm going to do a discount code in my shop starting today for the entire month July! Just use SASHES at checkout for 20% off!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment